I would be remiss if I ended this month without posting about Molly Hooper. For a character who wasn’t in the original stories, Molly is pretty darn awesome. She started out as just a shy, sweet little mortician with a crush on Sherlock, and grew into so much more than that. Here are just a few of the traits that make Molly great:
1. She dated, then dumped, Moriarty. Also known as the most dangerous criminal in London. Just let that sink in for a moment.
2. She overcame her shyness in order to reach out to Sherlock when she could tell he needed help (and notice that no one else, not even John, realized Sherlock needed help at that point). And this was AFTER he humiliated her in front of her friends.
3. She helped Sherlock fake his death. Making her the only non-relative who knew he was alive after “The Reichenbach Fall.” And she kept his secret for two years.
4. She appears in Sherlock’s mind palace as his most positive advice-giver.
5. Despite starting out so shy and besotted with the oblivious detective, she painstakingly gains Sherlock’s respect over the course of the series, and she also grows in self-confidence at the same time. By the last episode, she’s on such equal footing with Sherlock that she slaps him in the face for misbehaving, and he doesn’t even hold it against her.
You go, Molly! I’d take you over Irene Adler any day. You totally count. ❤