Hello again! Sorry it took me a few days to get it started, but August’s fandom includes all the TV shows, movies and shorts created by Joss Whedon.
For those unfamiliar, Joss Whedon is a director, writer, producer and occasional composer who has been involved in a huge variety of stories for the screen since the early 90s. The term “Whedonverse” usually refers to the stuff he wrote and directed more or less by himself:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog
Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
But don’t forget this guy also co-wrote Toy Story, helped create an X-Men cartoon series and wrote the horror satire Cabin in the Woods. And he made an excellent film version of Much Ado About Nothing.
I haven’t explored everything in the Whedonverse yet, but what I’ve seen is quite beautiful. Joss has a unique take on sci-fi and fantasy, and he likes to break the formulas that other filmmakers follow. Here are some things to look for in a Joss Whedon creation:
1) Loads of witty, quotable dialogue.
2) Teams of misfits who argue a lot.
3) An unusual concentration of strong female characters.
4) Unexpected, heartbreaking plot twists. You know how, in most sci-fi movies, the best character usually survives and has a happy ending? Not in the Whedonverse.
5) Unexpectedly funny twists. Whedon’s films get awfully dark and sad sometimes, but when things are looking too bleak, he almost always throws in a joke.
6) Unexpected twists…period. Expect surprises in a Joss Whedon film.
All of these things make the Whedonverse a great place to visit. I can’t say I love everything I’ve found there (it sometimes gets too dirty for me), but Joss Whedon will probably always be among my favourite movie makers.
This month, expect pictures, humor, rants, etc. about my favourite corners of the Whedonverse–Firefly, Dr. Horrible and The Avengers. Buffy and some of the lesser-known Whedon creations may pop up as well. Stay tuned! Namarie!